The much needed rain arrived today. Big time.
We went to the job site at 2:00 pm today, and only one of the three pumps were running. This was not good. The breaker on the temporary power pole had tripped, so power wasn’t going to the two pumps and only the pump from the swimming pool was working. The water level was above the trenches for the drain pipes leading to the sewage ejector pit.
Our neighbor from across the street, Kel Marchbank, saw that our gate open so he stopped by to see if we were having problems with the rains. As a general contractor (Marcal Construction), Kel knows that heavy rains on a construction site in California probably indicate problems. He offered to help us get the pumps going.
Quick fault isolation showed that it was the temporary sump pump inside the excavation that was tripping the breaker. We removed that problem and got the sump pump in the vertical culvert going. We now had two pumps running.
There was another pump on site so we removed the discharge hose and connected it to the extra pump. Plugged it in and –voila– we had the third pump going.
We tested the float switch to verify when the water level drops, the pump will shut off. Also, we repaired a small leak in the blue discharge hose, which was growing in size in minutes!
Feeling better knowing that all the pumps were running and the site was secure, we closed and locked the gate.